Thursday, April 30, 2009

A WEEK IN OLONGAPO




One day I decided to quit. I quit my job, my relationship and my spirituality. I wanted to quit my life. I went to the woods to have one last talk with God. “God”, I said. “Can you give me one good reason not to quit?”


His answer surprised me. “Look around! Do you see the fern and the bamboo?” “Yes”, I replied.


He continued, “When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo. In the second year the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.”


“In the third and fourth year, there was nothing from the bamboo seed but again I would not quit. Then in the fifth year a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern it was seemingly small and insignificant. But just six months later the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall. It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive.”


“I know that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots but I will never quit on you. Don’t compare yourself to others. The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern. Yet they both make the forest beautiful. Your time will come and you will rise high.”


“How high should I rise?” I asked. “How high will the bamboo rise?” He asked me in return.


“As high as it can?” I questioned. “Yes!” He said, “Give me glory by rising as high as you can.”

– Unknown


Life is getting harder everyday as I can see it. My staying in Cavite is always routinize by the same schedule and same errands. As a standby and jobless,time has been so fast that as if my world is getting smaller.
I received text from my first cousin in Olongapo asking me to come home just to attend the birthday of her second baby which at first I was hesitant because of the financial conditions I have had.
Telling her about my status, she sent me a fare just to come home...well,since I have nothing to do in Cavite I packed my things right away and drove home. Boarded on a bus way down to region 3, my face was painted with happiness and sadness as well asking myself what would I do next when I get back to Cavite?
Do I still have the chance and a so called- bright future ahead of me? I can't help but shed tears and asked God.
Knowing that life is filled with uncertainties,I checked my mails at our High School website when I arrived in Zambales..I was catching up all of the comments and two mails from a friend back in high school.
Touring the entire site checking what's the new update and new batch member who just accidentally found our site was the second thing I did with so much missingess in my heart. A dear 4th year classmate of mine who just posted his blog about Never stop quitting had stricken my heart with awe,spiritually.
I just found out that many from my high school batch mates have experiencing the same fate as mine..but they never thought of quitting though at times they thought of it but still the spirit of bravery have pushed them to fight the hurdles in life.
The message above was the note being posted by my friend at his blog which a good awakening for me,perhaps.
I thank God for giving me so much friends who just continue praying and giving me pieces of advise which I think it serves as my propeller the reason why I'm still here in this world.

No comments:

My Favorite Instrumental Music