Monday, February 28, 2011

BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER

Sorry, I haven't updated my blog for a while, I am not feeling well and I'd say that physically 'am tired and weak.
Just wondering why it's different from the sicknesses I used to have. Couldn't breath normally 'coz my chest and my back were aching and I was gasping. My boss brought me to the nearby clinic & the Doctor couldn't see anything wrong on my body but prescribed me a certain medicines that would help to ease the pain and it did. However, my body is still weak and I can feel inside that I can't managed to teach and be stressed by the pupils.
Friends back in the Philippines diagnosed me of having a Psychosomatic, being stressed of thinking too much that cause of my ill - it can be true.
However, my housemate here in Poland said I have SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder or in layman's term "Winter Depression". It's honestly my first time to hear such term winter depression.


Because I was doubting of the term used, I searched it right away. According to my research, "Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter.-Wikipedia)

Another website gave me a clear explanations about SAD :
This is the season when most people leave for work and return home in the dark, temperatures plummet, heating bills soar and even the most optimistic individuals are prone to prolonged bouts of grumpiness.

As the amount of sunlight decreases and the days grow shorter, almost everyone suffers a certain amount of depression. But for millions of Americans, these darker winter days trigger the onset of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a clinical condition that affects their ability to work and results in depression.

Over the past 20 years, there have been numerous studies on the causes and treatment of seasonal affective disorder. Clinicians and researchers now believe that SAD is a cyclical illness prevalent in the fall and winter months that is directly related to the amount of light that is absorbed through the eyes.

This winter depression is caused by a connection between the optic nerve and melatonin, a chemical in the brain. SAD is triggered when the brain releases too much of this chemical at the wrong time, specifically during short dark winter days when bright sunlight is at a premium.

For most people SAD is a mild condition that is generally referred to as the “winter blues.” But for others SAD is a seriously disabling illness that prevents them from functioning normally without continuous treatment.

Seasonal affective disorder occurs throughout the Northern and Southern hemispheres and is extremely rare in those living near the Equator, where daylight hours are long and extremely bright.(Source:http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/lifestyles/3952854-423/ideas-to-treat-seasonal-affective-disorder.html)

Well, as a Filipino sayings; Bawal Magkasakit (Not to get sick)....rightly true, who would take care of me 24 hours a day? nobody, I couldn't force my housemates to look after me and leave their work. Now, I know that winter could be so depressing, too much cold and enduring it for three months till Spring is no longer funny. I thought seeing snow and playing on it could be fun,well, it is at least but it makes people so lazy to move.
As a first timer on winter experience is a lot of fun and could be an answered prayer. Now, I fully understand why western people hates winter (not all, but at least 90%) they get sick, they don't like to go around and most of all you really have to suffer the bath and shower of your life and I mean it 'coz I refused to do it for at least 3 to 4 days 'coz it catches u cold easily and when you get out of the house though you shower of boiling water still it freezes you & frost you.
With that, I miss the sungligth the hot weather in the Philippines, because I am no longer happy of my situation now.

2 comments:

Pinoy Boy Journals said...

i never knew about this sickness, until you posted it. although i've heard from friends, that some people do get sick for the lack of sun. take care!

Eric said...

Hi Pinoy Boy, didn't know this sickness as well till I myself was ill of it....

My Favorite Instrumental Music