Monday, June 11, 2007

RIGHTS OF LEFTIES


Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci, Julius Caesar, and Napoleon. What to do these men have in common? They were all left-handed! Beginning early in history,Southpaws or left-handed have been feared,neglected, and punished....whew,thanks God I was in the 70's.But finally, they are getting recognition for their achievements.
For many years, the use of the lef-hand was considered evil...well,people at those times were not civilized and educationally professionals.In fact, the Latib word for "left" is "sinister".Because of this prejudice against the left,left-handed people were forced to switch hands.
This change caused many problems for lefties in school, which resulted in frustration,bad behavior, and high drop-out rates.
Maybe that is why lefties were stereotyped as unintelligent.But this could not be further from the truth.
To understand intelligence, we need to understand the brain.Researchers studying the brain have found differences in the left side and right side of the brain.Researchers believe that people who use more of the left side of their brain tend to be more intelligent.They also tend to use language better and solve problems faster.
However, one study also showed that left-brain people tend to have worse memories.
So which side of the brain do lefties use? Actually, both. Right-handed people use the left side of the brain more,whereas left-handed people use both sides of the brain almost equally.The part connecting the two halves of the brain is usually larger in left-handed people.
Approximately ten percent of the world is left-handed, and the ratio of left-handed males to left-handed females is 20 to 1. Thankfully, parents and teachers no longer treat left-handedness as a problem to be cured....at least.It may actually contribute to a child's excellence! By allowing lefties to learn and develop in their own way, they will excel in school.
And perhaps one of these lefties might turn out to be the next Einstein or Da Vinci..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to be left handed, ambidextrous for that matter. I find it intriging. I've read about the use of left and right brain as well, and southpaws are inclined more on being right brained which is the creative side.

As for my camera, I'm using an Olympus E-500 :D

RM Bulseco said...

hi! may new post ako about my LIFE in UP!

hahaha hope you read and comment ka rin ha??


haha left handed ka pala?? ako,, former leftie.. ahahaha but my mom converted me to rightie pero ang spoon ko nasa LEFT pa rin.. hahah

Eric said...

Thanks Ferdz and Renz for the kind posts....
Honestly, I was once a righties when I was 4 to 6 years old..but it was my first cousin who influenced me to use the left hand...I think the entry's I had posted rightly tells the truth...most of the lefties produced good hand writing and brainy....

My Favorite Instrumental Music